Your character advances in power by gaining experience (exp or xp for short).
The 'level' command shows how many experience points you'll need for the next few levels. Each character class has 100 levels. At level 100, you become an avatar. At this point, you may choose to go dual-class if you so desire.
You gain experience by:
- inflicting damage upon an opponent
- being part of a group that kills an opponent
- succeeding while learning a skill or a spell through usage
You lose experience by:
- fleeing from combat
- recalling out of combat
- being the target of some spells (energy drain, etc.)
The experience you get from a kill depends on several things:
- how many players are in your group
- your level versus the level of your opponent
- your alignment versus your opponent's alignment
- some random variation
Your last 25 kills are recorded. Each time you kill a creature that has been one of your last 25 kills you will receive less and less xp for it. The creature will also learn from its experience with you over time; if its intelligence is higher than your own it will begin to gain an advantage over you in combat.
To see who has accumulated the most experience in the Dawn of Demise, type 'statistics exp'.